Friday, July 3, 2009

Amit Kumar turns 58

3rd July is the birthday of the singer Amit Kumar- son of legendary singer Kishore Kumar.
He turned 58 yesterday. Excerpts from an interview with Amit Kumar on his 58th birthday.

Still walking tall

Some people call him an eccentric ~ he doesn’t fly in aeroplanes during the monsoon ~ and some like to believe he doesn’t record songs often. The truth, as Sudipta Chanda finds out, is that the singer has been delivering hit after hit for the past 40 years. An exclusive interview with Amit Kumar

Looking back at the four decades behind you…
There is a popular English song Time Passes On. It feels like that; it feels great and I don’t have words to express my journey so far.

The moment you first walked into a recording studio…
It was for Door Ka Raahi ~ my father was the composer ~ and it was recorded at Bombay Film Lab in 1965. I had just reached Mumbai from Kolkata and rehearsed the song Main Ek Paanchhi Matwala Re ~ that was a tension-free session. An interesting point to note here ~ the video for the song was picturised on me and was filmed at Gourikunj. Unfortunately, the video was excluded from the film. The record released in 1969 with the song and I was credited as Amit Ganguly.

Your father was indeed your friend, philosopher and guide.
He was my mentor ~ he graduated me from studio to stage. My first Bangla song ~ Jinisher Daam Berechhe ~ was under Baba’s baton. He was my real critic. When I met Panchamda and sang Jhumroo real bad, Baba criticised me while returning home. I couldn’t sleep that night; time went by weeping. Later, when I started singing, he said that I would be sitting in a chair like the one he had at every studio.

Learning music…
The year was 1970, perhaps 1971. I suddenly decided that that I should get trained in Indian classical music. Baba laughed. But I was determined enough that he had ask Manna De to give me an appointment. And thus I met Mannada, who also laughed before recommending me to Ghulam Mustafa Khan, who used to visit Gourikunj twice a week. Suddenly, I felt the exercise was difficult and gave up learning. After Baba’s death, I once again learnt classical music from Satya Narayan Mishra and that definitely helped me to win back my confidence, add clarity to my vocal treatment. My singing style matured.

You have achieved a lot…
On my debut show in Mumbai, SD Burman was the chief guest. He was moved by my performance and threw a garland at me. Now, that’s a moment to cherish. I also remember receiving my first Filmfare award from Baba for Love Story in 1981. After Baba’s death Laxmiji said something really heart-warming, “Don’t think you are getting to sing my songs because you’re Kishoreda’s son. You have potential.” OP Nayyarsaab also heaped compliments on me, “Beta, your voice has gamaak which used to be in Rafisaab’s voice.”
How do you assess Amit Kumar, the singer?
I don’t consider myself to be a great singer. I sounded raw when I started my career. Now I sing much better.

People who helped you to succeed.
First, my listeners, fans… they made it possible. Then my Baba and Ma. All my composers who believed in me ~ Shankar-Jaikishan, Madan Mohan, Salilda, Nayyarsaab, Rajesh Roshan, Bappi Lahiri and, of course, Shaktida, Tarun Mazumdar and RD Burman.

RD Burman was your mentor…
Of course… after Baba, Panchamda was my mentor. I spent some lovely days with the maestro. I became his fan when Chhote Nawab released. Outsiders were not allowed in his sitting room but I was an exception. Thanks to him, I found my first hit in Balika Badhu, the only Filmfare Award for Love Story and, after Baba’s death, he helped me with Rama O Rama… I never had to look back. His recording sessions were very creative, enjoyable, extremely comfortable. I still feel he is around.

You’re a master of stage shows…
I started performing in Kolkata, the first being in Uttam Kumar’s locality ~ Bhowanipur. Later I joined Calcutta Youth Choir as a percussionist. Suddenly Baba was informed that I was doing shows and he called on me. Ma was very much confused about my future as I started losing interest in studies. This was the time when Baba introduced me at a gala show ~ “Papa Kishore and Sunny Amit Together” ~ in Mumbai, where SD Burman was the chief guest. I had my first big stage show at Rabindra Sadan ~ it was arranged by Gautam Mukherjee. And in 1972 Suprakash Gargari presented “Amit Kumar Presents Kishore Kumar”, a memorable musical extravaganza. Besides, I did shows with Laxmi-Pyare, Kalyanji-Anandji, Ashaji, Bhupinder Singh, RD Burman and many others.

Your idols.
My parents introduced me to a wide range of music. I love South American music and singers like Dean Martin, Frank Sinatra, Jose Feliciano, the orchestra of Ray Conniff and so on. I still love jazz ~ Benny Goodman, Harry James are worth a mention. I would like to believe that music has no boundaries.

It’s a mad, mad world.
Baba was known for his eccentric activities but the saying goes ~ baap ka beta, sipahi ka ghoda. Kuchh nehin to thoda thoda (chip off the old block)! A few years back a few journalists asked me a cliched question: how I assessed remakes and remixes. I wanted to run away from them and answered, “Oh great! I love remakes and remixes. It sounds better than the originals. I don’t listen to Kishore Kumar’s songs.” They were confused and stopped asking me questions. I can recall another incident that took place in Benaras one year ago where a reporter asked me why I was not performing often. I said, “This donkey’s braying has been well accepted for 40 years. Khuda maherban to gadha bhi pahalwan (God willing, even a donkey feels strong)!” Then I rattled off a list of songs from my forthcoming films. There was a long silence.

Future projects.
Dulha Mil Gaya, Aladin, Mukti, Rama The Yoddha, Leela, Harano Sur, Osama, First Forward, Hang To Death, Ekbaar Take Chaichhi and so on. There is a special stage show ~ “Do Kishore” ~ in memory of Baba. Hopefully it will start in October. And I plan to record an album ~ Baakwas.

No comments: