Sunday, August 23, 2009

An Interview with Kumar Sanu

Staying alive

Kumar Sanu has defied critics to prove his mettle.

So you won't work with new-generation
composers?

Thank God I don't have to sing techno songs. Today's songs don't go with my style. I've
never asked composers for songs. I'm happy with my achievements.
No regrets.

Do you plan to join politics?
No, there is no such plans. I respect Pranab Mukherjee and I share a very good relationship with him. Personally, I have great respect for Buddhadeb Bhattacharya and for Mamata Banerjee, who is a determined leader.

But the politics in the music industry?
As far as my industry is concerned, politics is about ego, money, good PR… A good rapport with producers and directors helps to bag songs, at times for big banners. I never compromised on my rate. I, in fact, never compromised on any aspect.

You started in the industry with Kishore Kumar as your idol. But with Aashiqi you sounded original.
I believe that copying another singer, doesn't pay off in the long run. It's also true that I followed Kishore da's style as he was my idol. Later, I decided to come up with my style of singing. I'm still singing. I started as Sanu Bhattacharya when Kalyanji-Anandji suggested a new name ~ Kumar Sanu ~ for the Big B film Jaadugar. The film also had my first solo effort.

How did you team up with RD Burman?
Panchamda knew me when he first heard my series of cassettes in memory of Kishore da on T-Series. One day I got a call from his camp and we had a nice discussion. Ultimately, I sang in Yeh Desh. Panchamda was a great composer, an amazing human being. Then we worked together in Jhuti Shaan, Purushottam, Tum Karo Vada and in the unforgettable 1942: A Love Story.

Your experience with the next generation of composers during the 1990s.
During the 1990s Nadeem-Shravan used my voice the best. They had male-oriented songs that suited my tonal quality. Then with Jatin-Lalit I had a good rapport ~ they are followers of Panchamda's gharana. We worked together on a number of hits ~ Khiladi, Raju Ban Gaya Gentleman, Kabhi Haan Kabhi Na and so on. In Bazigaar, Sir, Phir Teri Kahani Yaad Ayee, Anu Malik provided me with a platform.

What would you say about AR Rahman, the composer?
He was not a composer for the masses. He gradually changed his style and it's reflected in what he produces today. I worked with him only in Kabhi Na Kabhi. Then there was some misunderstanding and we stopped working
together.

Your assessment of Slumdog Millionaire.
I have an objection to using the word "slumdog". It's not our culture. We don't treat people from slums as dogs. They have shown only the negative aspect of our country. As far as the Oscar is concerned, I think Rahman gifted us more enchanting melodies before. This is not his best.

You have worked with both the legendary Mangeshkar sisters. Your experience.
It's like receiving a lifetime achievement award. Both of them were simply outstanding. I shared the microphone with Lataji in Naya Sawan for a Bappi Lahiri composition. For Khiladi I rendered a song with Ashaji for the first time under the baton of Jatin-Lalit.

Your thoughts on the present trends in Bollywood music?
It's pathetic! I can't recognise the singers. They are the singers for a month. Go through the inlay cards of their CDs and rarely would you identify the singer.

Your big achievements…
First, the love and respect I get from fans all over the world. I was recently conferred the Padma Shri, I have received five Filmfare awards in succession, Guinness Book Of World Record features me for recording 28 songs in a day and, the government of Denton in America observe Kumar Sanu Day on 31 March… I once did a charity show there.

It's rumoured that you had a tiff with Amit Kumar…
No, no, there were no such clashes with Amit Kumar. He is senior to me. He was already a well known singer when I started . I would rather say there was healthy competition. I've worked with him only once ~ a song in Yoddha. Later both of us rendered the same song Is Tarah Ashiqi Ka for Imtihaan, separately. We share the same gharana ~ Kishore Kumar.

Who do you consider the best singer to work with?
Udit Narayan.

Your future projects.
I'm working on songs for a number of Bangla films. After Utthan, my compositions can be heard in Yeh Sunday Kyun Aata Hai where Shaan, Sunidhi render my songs. I have sang in Udit Narayan's Bhojpuri film Kanoonwa Meri Mutthi Mein' I am working with Munna-Raj for my Puja album.

Do you believe in comebacks?
I'm an optimist. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, hoping the trends in the music industry would change.

No comments: